- Sep 2016 – : Lecturer at University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL), Portugal
- July 2016 – : Visiting Lecturer at Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal
- Jan 2015 – : Principal Investigator (Group Leader) at Institute of Molecular Medicine (iMM Lisboa), Faculty of Medicine of the University of Lisbon, Portugal
- May 2014 – : Visiting Lecturer at Centre for Neuroimaging Sciences, Institute of Psychiatry (IoP), King’s College of London (KCL), UK.
- Jul 2012 – Apr 2014: Academic Lecturer at the Department of Psychosis Studies, IoP, KCL. New skills: MSc Module leading and MSc student supervision. Application: MSc and BSc lecturing in statistics, genetics and neuroimaging.
- Mar 2011 – Apr 2014: UK National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Post-Doctoral Fellowship (full-time) at the Department of Psychosis Studies, IoP, KCL on “A multimodal approach for predicting the onset of psychosis”. Mentor: Philip McGuire. New skills: longitudinal genetic, clinical and psychosocial data collection; machine learning statistical analysis; sMRI neuroimaging data analysis; systematic reviewing. Application: pioneer multi-modal (genetic, environmental, neuroimaging, neuropsychological) biomarker design for predicting the onset of psychosis in an at-risk population; review of existing biomarkers for psychosis and proposal of quantitative evaluation criteria for treatment response and prognostic biomarkers, with Prof Shitij Kapur.
- Apr 2008 – Apr 2010: Post-Doctoral research work (full-time) for Theragenetics Ltd (now Optimal Medicine, Ltd) & Department of Psychosis Studies, IoP, KCL on “Research into the genetic and pharmacogenetic aspects of illness and outcome in patients with first episode psychosis”. Supervisors: Prof. Philip McGuire and Dr. Janet Munro. New skills: collaborations between commercial, clinical and academic sites to set up pharmacogenetic clinical trials; pharmacogenetic longitudinal data collection and statistical analysis. Application: identification of the impact of dopamine regulating and receptor gene variations on symptomatological response to antipsychotics.
- Feb 2004 – Mar 2008 (issued 1/1/2009): PhD in Neuroimaging Genetics (full-time) on the “Effect of dopamine regulating genes on regional brain function during verbal fluency in controls and in patients with schizophrenia” at the Section of Genetics & the Section of Neuroimaging of the Division of Psychological Medicine and Psychiatry of the IoP, KCL. Supervisor: Prof. David Collier. New skills: molecular genetic association statistical analysis; DTI and fMRI neuroimaging analysis; collection of genetic and psychological data via interview with healthy and clinical populations; meta-database management; intra and inter-disciplinary collaborations. Application: novel design for combination of imaging and molecular genetics to examine the impact of several psychosis risk gene variations in brain function during a cognitive-executive task and white matter integrity in health, schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.
- Oct 2002 – Jul 2003: Leonardo Da Vinci traineeship on the “Candidate gene association in eating disorders” at the Section of Genetics, Division of Psychological Medicine and Psychiatry, IoP, KCL. Supervisor: Prof. David Collier. New skills: molecular genetics wet lab work. Application: discovery of risk genes for eating disorders.
- Sep 2001 – Jun 2002: Erasmus residency on Genetics and Biotechnology courses at the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICh), Greece.
- Sep 1997- Jul 2002 (issued 11/09/2002): Licenciatura in Biology, equivalent to a BSc (Hons) or BSc+MSc at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon, Portugal.
Education and Training
|Mar 2011||Apr 2014||Post-Doctoral Fellowship||Psychosis Studies Dep., Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, UK||Prof. Philip McGuire
|Machine learning, psychiatric biomarkers|
|Mar 2008||Apr 2010||Post-Doctoral Research||Psychosis Studies Dep., Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, UK & Optimal Medicine, Ltd (Joint-Venture)||Prof. Philip McGuire
Dr. Janet Munro
|Psychological interview, pharmacogenetics, schizophrenia|
|Feb 2004||Feb 2008 (issued Jan 2009)||PhD Neuroimaging Genetics||Genetics Section, and Neuroimaging Section, Institute of Psychiatry King’s College London, UK||Prof. David Collier
Prof. Sir Robin Murray
|Neuroimaging genetics, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder|
|Oct 2002||Nov 2003||Leonardo Da Vinci fellowship||Psychological Medicine Dep., Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, UK||Prof. David Collier||Genetics lab-work|
|Sep 2001||Jun 2002||Erasmus fellowship||Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania, Greece||N/A||Genetics, proteomics courses|
|Sep 1997||Jun 2002||BSc+MSc Biology||Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal||N/A||1st-Class Honours or 80% mark).|
|Sep 2016||–||Lecturer||Social and Organizational Psychology Dept., Human and Social Sciences School||University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE-IUL), Portugal|
|July 2016||–||Visiting Lecturer||Neuro-radiology||Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal|
|Jan 2015||–||Group Leader||Diana Prata’s Lab (Research Unit)||Instituto de Medicina Molecular (iMM Lisboa), Portugal|
|May 2014||–||Visiting Lecturer||Neuroimaging||Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, UK|
|Jul 2012||Apr 2014||Lecturer (module leader)||Psychosis Studies||Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College London, UK|
Gap Explanatory Notes: I have made three 2-4 month breaks between training and labour contracts to volunteer as a teacher in several NGOs in developing countries, plus one travelling break as per the table below.
|Aug 2014||Dec 2014||Volunteer teacher||3 NGOs: Haburas Foundation, Hamutuk and Paz Y Desarollo, Dili, East-Timor|
|Dec 2010||Feb 2011||Volunteer teacher||2 NGOs: Salaam Balaak Trust and Poritranseva, India|
|July 2010||Sep 2010||Volunteer teacher||1 NGO: R.O.L.E. Foundation, Bali, Indonesia|
|Dec 2003||Feb 2004||Travelling||Mozambique|
Refereeing, Consulting and Advice
|2016||Grant Review Panel||French National Research Agency|
|2015||Scientific Consultant||European Alliance Against Depression (EAAD), Portugal|
|2015||Post-graduate Scientific Committee||Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal|
|2015||Post-graduate Scientific Committee||Faculty of Medicine, University of Lisbon, Portugal|
|2015||Post-graduate Scientific Committee||Institute for Applied Psychology Research (ISPA), Portugal|
|2014||Ethics Advisory Board||Schizophrenia International Research Society Ethics Committee|
|2013||Editorial Review Board||Frontiers of Neuropsychiatric Imaging and Stimulation – Frontiers of Psychiatry|
|2012-2014||Learning and Teaching Group||Mental Health Studies MSc, IoP, KCL, UK|
|2012-2014||E-Research Methods Working Group||King’s College London, UK|
|2009||Grant Review Panel||Austrian Science Fund|
|2008-||Referee in peer-review journals (N=21)||Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry; Neuropsychiatric Genetics; Cerebral Cortex; Translational Psychiatry; Human Brain Mapping; Psychological Medicine; European Journal of Psychiatry; Biological Psychiatry; Neuroimage; Schizophrenia Research; Schizophrenia Bulletin; Psychiatry Research; Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry; Genes, Brain and Behaviour; Bipolar Disorders; Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences; Cognitive Neuropsychiatry; Behavioural and Brain Functions; Psychopharmacology; Journal of Neural Transmission; Nordic Journal of Psychiatry|
Membership of Learned Societies
|2016||Mind-Brain College, University of Lisbon, Portugal|
|2015||Organization for Human Brain Mapping|
|2014||Schizophrenia International Research Society|
|2013||Society for Neuroscience|
|2009||Portuguese Association of Researchers and Students in the UK (PARSUK).|
|2009||King’s College London Alumni|